Flaxseed Oil and the benefits
Flaxseed oil (also known as linseed oil) is one of the richest plant based sources of an omega-3 fatty acid called alpha linolenic acid (ALA). Omega 3 fatty acids are essential to a healthy diet and play a crucial role in many bodily functions. Flaxseed oil also contain essential omega-6 fatty acids. You might have heard over the years that omega-6 is bad for you and is the cause of inflammation in the body, but that depends on where you are getting them from and how much you are getting. Omega-6 is essential, and cutting it out would do more harm than good. Luckily flaxseed oil has the correct ratio of omega 3 and 6.
Flaxseed oil is versatile liquid that can be easily added into your diet. It can be added into smoothies, dips, salad dressings and foods after they are cooked. But don’t cook with it as it has a low smoke point and heat can turn the healthy fats into harmful ones. Once opened flaxseed oil should be stored in the fridge with the bottle tightly closed to stop it from going rancid. Make sure when buying it that you are buying cold pressed organic flaxseed oil in a dark bottle which keeps light out and reduces oxidation.
- There are many benefits to including omega-3 such as flaxseed oil in your diet, and one of the most well know it’s ability to decrease inflammation and treat inflammatory diseases, including autoimmune diseases.
- Flaxseed oil is also beneficial to improving heart health, and studies have shown it might help in the treatment of heart disease. This is thanks to its ability to help lower blood pressure and help prevent hardening of the arteries.
- Flaxseed oil is good for improving bowel regularity, it lubricates the colon acting as a natural treatment for constipation. Interestingly it is also beneficial to those suffering from diarrhoea. Because it keeps our digestive system moving has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects many have got weight loss benefits too.
- ALA found in flaxseed oil may help slow down the growth of cancer cells. The actual flaxseed its self contains a natural phytoestrogens called lignans which are able to increase and decrease estrogen activity. For this reason many studies have been done on lignans and there effect in fighting breast cancer and other estrogen related malignancies. The ALA found in flaxseed oil has also been shown to reduce cancer cell growth.
- Flaxseed oil is excellent when used topically as it improves skin texture and elasticity. This can help improve dry skin conditions such as eczema.
Always speaks to your GP before starting a new supplement, especially if you are already taking medication.
FSC Organic Flaxseed Oil is certified and approved by the Soil Association.
The organic flaxseeds are pressed at a very cold temperature, using a cold processing method which does not require any use of solvents.