Some of the Oil of Peppermint Benefits
There have been many studies on the benefits of peppermint oil and it’s one of the most widely used essential oils. It has a long history of use, often being referred to as one of the worlds oldest medicines. It a definite must for every home!
Have a read below of the benefits when used orally and topically.
- Improve IBS symptoms - peppermint oil capsules when taken orally has been used as a natural remedy for treating irritable bowl syndrome (IBS). It has been shown to be effective in reducing spasms in the colon and reducing bloating.
- Reduce headache symptoms - Rubbing a couple of drops of peppermint oil in a circular motion on your temples and back of neck can help reduce the pain caused by headaches. The oil soothes and relaxes tense muscles too.
- Soothe itchy skin - including rashes from poison ivy, hives and bug bites. The cooling properties of peppermint oil when applied topically sooth the skin and reduces itching.
- Helps clear up spots and acne when applied topically - peppermint oil contains antimicrobial properties which can reduce the acne causing bacteria. It additionally helps control the secretion of excess oil. Make sure you mix a couple of drops of oil with water before applying the the skin.
- Helps reduce muscle pain due to it’s soothing, relaxing effects. Including pain brought on by fibromyalgia. Mix a few drops with a carrier oil and massage into the sore muscle.
- Reduces nausea - Inhaling peppermint oil has been shown to reduces nausea. Either inhale directly from the bottle or add a couple of a drops to a face cloth and inhale.
- Improve concentration - Inhaling peppermint oil may help improve metal alertness and memory. Either put it behind your ears, on a cloth to inhale or in a diffuser.
- Increase energy levels - When taken orally peppermint oil has been shown to help increase energy levels when exercising.
- Helps unclog congested sinuses - inhaling peppermint oil can help open up your airways, clear mucus and act as a decongestant. The antiviral properties of the oil will also help your body clear the illness faster.
- Help with hay fever and allergies - As mentioned above, inhaling peppermint oil is excellent for helping to clear your respiratory tract. It can in addition help reduce inflammation helping you breath easier.
Remember - if you have sensitive skin make sure you dilute peppermint oil with another carrier oil before applying to skin. Peppermint oil can be toxic when taken orally, so make sure you only take the amount recommend on the bottle.
Peppermint oil can be toxic if taken orally in excessive amounts, so make sure you always read the label and only take the correct dose. Speak to your Doctor if you are on any existing medications as it could interfere with them.